Thursday, June 11, 2009

Letting Go of Bad Things!

This post is to anyone who has a bad habit and are not sure if they can "give" it up. Here's the real deal! I used to be a smoker, quit almost 7 weeks ago. For years and years I was convinced I couldn't quit smoking if I was going to lose weight, I didn't want to fail at both. I read in several articles NOT to try to do both things simultaneously. So, I didn't. Trouble was, I wasn't REALLY trying to accomplish either one of them. About 3 years ago, an event took place that forever changed my mind and my life and it became blaringly obvious these things I wouldn't "give" up were going to KILL ME!!!! And it wasn't going to be quickly and painlessly, it would take a while and everyone around me would have to watch it. Welll, after much grief and heartache, I decided to change my mind and now, I'm changing my life! I can breathe! I can move better, I can workout for extended periods of time and walk 3 miles and not almost gag for breath! I can sing louder, longer and higher and you know why? Because I made a decision! Everyone of you has decisions to make in your lives and if you're wrestling with making a decision to discipline yourself to "give" up bad things, take some time to be logical about your bad thing. Is it helping you in any way? Is it something that makes life easier, really? Can you really afford it? Monetarily, physically, mentally or any other way? If you will be totally honest with yourself and answer these questions truthfully, then you can find the solution which will work best for you. If you have no idea where to start, find websites, research solutions, ask questions (there are no stupid questions), experiment with different ideas. I have combined several different aspects of healthy eating and fitness programs and I love what I'm doing. As far as quitting the smoking, I used a patch for the first 3 weeks, then stopped those as well. I also followed the lead of my guy who is my "ground"! He said "we're gonna stop now", I balked a bit but decided to follow his decision and now here we are, almost 7 weeks later and not one cigarette! It will be different for everyone, but it is always possible! And the more you overpower the desire to "fall back" the easier it becomes, at least for me because I like the feeling of "VICTORY"! I don't like to give up, I do not like to admit defeat, it's not something I'm good at. I hope this will help someone! If you need help or encouragement or would just like to send me an e-mail about this or any other subject, please feel free to do so! In fact, I encourage that greatly! I want to use my experiences to help others! Have a beautiful day!

1 comment:

  1. I join in your prayer for positive change and sincerity ... in all our lives and every aspect of our lives.

    ReplyDelete